Get in touch with us to let us know if you’re struggling with your finances
Call the school office on 0151 477 8100 or email email@example.com
We know everyone is feeling the pinch this winter and we want to support those families in our school community who are impacted the most. If you’re struggling with your finances, please do get in touch to let us know, as there may be things we can suggest which will help. We want to do everything we can to help you and your child through this difficult winter.
Contact your local Citizen’s Advice Bureau or Family Hub
Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB)
You don’t have to be a UK citizen to get support from your local CAB, you just need to be a resident of the local area. The CAB can help you with:
- Getting benefits or other financial support organised
- Accessing support for essential costs (food, bills, rent)
Check you’re paying the right amount of tax
Make sure you’re on the right tax code. If you aren’t you might be due a refund. Use the Money Saving Expert’s free tax code calculator to find out.
Claim any benefits you’re entitled to
Use 1 of these benefits calculators to determine whether there are any benefits you could be claiming:
- Policy in Practice
- Support for migrant families – use this calculator if you are a migrant family, or if you have no recourse to public funds
You may be able to get benefits paid early if you’re already feeling the squeeze – this is known as ‘a short-term benefit advance’ – you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) office in Huyton.
Check you’ve received all the government’s cost of living payments
The government’s cost of living payment is available for those receiving certain benefits or tax credits. You don’t need to apply for these – if you’re eligible the money should go straight into your account.
If you think you’re due a payment, but haven’t received one – report a missing payment to the government here.
Be aware of scams! If you receive any emails, texts or phone calls asking you to fill in an application form or asking for your bank details to receive a cost of living payment, do not talk to them or send a reply. Get more information on cost of living scams on the Money Saving Expert’s website
Find out what help you can get with your energy bills
Let us know if your child is entitled to free school meals (FSM)
If your child is eligible for free school meals (FSM) you need to get them registered. This will allow them to get a free meal at school, and we’ll get extra funding to support your child’s learning. Please contact Knowsley Council or visit their website to check if your child is eligible for FSM.
See what other support you can get from your local authority
Local authorities have lots of different schemes that you might be eligible for, including:
- The holiday activities and food programme – access to food and activities over the school holidays
- Help with transport to school
- Help with the cost of uniform
Get free or low-cost food
If you’re worried about not having enough food to feed your family, you’re not alone. There are a number of places offering support.
- If you have a child under 4, and meet the eligibility criteria, you may be entitled to healthy start food vouchers
- Knowsley Foodbank or find a local foodbank with these websites: Bankuet, The Independent Food Aid Network, the Trussell Trust, or your local community fridge
- Use food waste apps and websites like Olio (for free food and household items from your local community), Too Good To Go (for low cost food from local restaurants), or Low Price Foods (food that has passed its best before date, but is still safe to consume)